Tuesday, December 06, 2005

How Pretty!

Last night, we had our first snowfall of the season, and it is truly beautiful! It's kinda funny because autum was so warm for so long that the trees never really shed their summer plumage. The snow arrived much earlier than usual, thus falling on leaves that forgot to fall. The affect is breathtaking! As I walked through the parking lot and the tree-lined pathway (it's called a park, but it's really not a park), I could not help but enjoy the sight despite the fact that snow is supposed to be my sworn enemy (I am a beach bum at heart). The USS Barry was behind me, looking very festive, all decked out in colorful lights, the pre-dawn sky rflected off the whiteness all around me, and for a moment, I could imagine that I had stepped into a utopia and I was the only one there (that part was actually true... I'm always on the first to arrive at work). Maybe it's just the fact that Christmas is near and there is nothing like snow to put you in the mood to sit inside and write Christmas cards and listen to the traditional carols, while drinking hot chocolate. It's pretty funny that we have this image, instilled in us since childhood, that lights and snow = Christmas. I mean, it really depends on where you live. In any case, I am going to try to enjoy each coming snowfall as I have enjoyed last night's because I have a feeling there will be many more in the next several months and I might as well be happy rather than miserable =)

No comments: