Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ever wonder why?


As a child, I used to question why I was born in America and not Africa or Asia (where I was told children starve - my friend's parents told me that one; my own parents never used that line on me), or why, out of 50 states, I was born in the best one, or did I just think it was the best because I lived there, or why my parents were my parents, and why I wasn't born into some other family. Of course I concluded that I wouldn't have been me if things had happened any differently... so then I wondered why I existed in the first place. You may think I am kidding, or at the very least, exaggerating, but I actually remember a day at about 5 or 6 years old, sitting on the steps in front of my family's house, thinking up these very questions. So why am I thinking about these questions now? Well, it's just that while everything around me changes constantly, the questions never do. I still question why. Why am I where I am? What if I were somewhere else? Why am I doing what I am doing? Should I be doing something else? Of course, being the college-educated person that I am, I think about these things through a teleological perspective and ask what is my purpose in it all? Then I answer that with my reformed theological response: "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever." Since there are many paths leading to that end, I still lack the solid answers I seek. Will I always continue to wonder? I wonder... Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Islandgirl said...

I suppose that would be VERY depressing for someone whose life's goal is to BECOME Audrey Hepburn... =P

Islandgirl said...

You have a point there, but I do not despair, for I have not given up hope that that can change. ;-)