Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day to me!

I woke up around 3 a.m. to the sound of... well, I wasn't sure what the sound was. It took me a while, in my groggy state, to figure out that what I was hearing was freezing rain, hitting my window panes (except I was so convinced that it was going to rain that I fell back to sleep thinking the snow was being washed away). You can imagine my surprise, when I got up an hour and a half later, looked out my window, and saw that even the busier roads were completely covered in snow! Everything was white (actually, more of a blue shade at that early hour). I decided to sleep for another half hour. I assumed work would be on a delayed opening schedule (I was right). At 5:15, I decided to go out and scrape the ice off my car. I knew that would take a while. Twenty minutes later, I returned to the warmth of my apartment and flipped on the news. Was I off for the day, or just the first two hours? Just the first two hours. This was actually a good thing. I have a lot to accomplish this week and so I would rather get it done today when most people are out (I am one of the lucky few with a 10 minute commute - 15 when the weather is like this, so even though I had no problem getting in, the same cannot be said for most of my co-workers). What to do with the extra time...? Make breakfast! It was definitely a french toast morning. =) I brewed the last of my Starbucks coffee, whipped up a batch of french toast, and sat down to a very pleasant and relaxing breakfast, while Josh Groban played in the background. Yes, it was a very nice morning.


I arrived at work @ 7:30 (a half hour early). Though the ride was a little stressful (cars stuck in embankments everywhere!), my 4-wheel drive pulled through and I made it in one piece. I could not believe how empty the parking lot was! The above picture, shows the front row parking spots.


There is just something incongruous about an anchor in the snow... I guess it's just that in my mind, anchors and boats are tied to oceans and beaches... in the summer!


The ice, while it makes driving not so fun, is a beautiful thing. I love the way it looks, encasing tree branches, twigs, and leaves.

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: