Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Unforgivable Sin

There was a time in the not-so-distant past when society frowned upon certain activites that fell outside of the Judeo-Christian ethic. My grandparents' generation knew a time when everything (except churches) shut down on Sundays, when having a child out of wedlock was considered a shame, and sexuality in general was not spoken about in public. My parents' generation changed much of that. It was "cool" to rebel, to find one's self, and reject all that was held sacred by the former generation. Now my generation is reaping the "benefits" of all that "liberation." The current generations (X&Y) are rightly named. We are the generations without an identity. We have been given more than we need, and told the world revolves around us. Punishment is taboo because there is no such thing as wrong. No one is bad, just in need of medication or therapy. We are now the measure of all things. Without any kind of standard outside of ourselves to measure ourselves, we have no idea who we are. It is no wonder that my generation is turning back to the churches in search of something greater than themselves. Unfortuantely, many churches went the way of the world, accepting the ideas of love and forgiveness, but rejecting any ideas of law, holiness, and obedience, not to mention personal responsibility. In this environment, it easy to call yourself a Christian. It requires no effort and improves your approval ratings. There is only one commandment left, the breaking of which is the only unforgivable sin: "judge not, lest you be judged." Apparently Dr. Dobson has recently managed to gain some bad press by committing this great sin.
Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Thompson, took issue with Dobson's characterization of the former Tennessee senator. "Thompson is indeed a Christian," he said. "He was baptized into the Church of Christ."
So, that's all it takes to be a Christian these days? Just be baptized. My church baptizes infants, so I guess we adults have nothing to worry about. It's already been taken care of. My salvation is secure. Glad I got that cleared up!

In other disturbing church-related news, "a tense dispute among Episcopalians and their fellow Anglicans worldwide over how they should interpret what the Bible says about sexuality and other issues." I'm not sure what there is to interpret. It seems like the question is more one of belief, not interpretation.
Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. I Corinthians 6:9-10
I think that verse kinda disqualifies a lot of people, but I don't know... maybe that's just my interpretation. Oh no! I just committed the unpardonable - but, wait... I've already been baptized. So, which trumps which? Don't judge me...

No comments: