Friday, July 11, 2008

What is WRONG with people?!

Get out of the way, road rage. Here comes desk rage. Anger in the workplace -- employees and employers who are grumpy, insulting, short-tempered or worse -- is shockingly common and likely growing...

While reading the news online this morning, I came across this article about office rage. I, thankfully, do not have to deal with that. I love my co-workers, and everyone I work with has a generally good attitude (I mean, we all have our days... it's all about how you deal with it). I found it interesting though... I think the reporter hit on something when she wrote:

"Rudeness, impatience, people being angry -- we used to do that kind of stuff at home but at work, we were professional. Now it's almost becoming trendy to do it at work. It was something we did behind closed doors," she said. "Now people are losing their sense of embarrassment over it." (click here
for complete article
)
As a society, we have done so much to rid ourselves of guilt and embarrassment that we have lost ALL sense of shame. There was a time when victims of various crimes didn't get the help they needed because of the shame they felt over what had happened to them - as if it was their fault. But unfortunately the pendulum has gone full-swing to the other extreme. Now people are not embarrassed over actions that should certainly cause them to blush. Will it ever swing back again? I wonder...

No comments: