Monday, August 18, 2008

Remembering Baghdad


The Mosque on Camp Victory


Sunset over the BIOP from Camp Victory


The Perfume Palace on Camp Slayer


Sunset from a watchtower on Camp Slayer

I have been reading about the increase violence in Baghdad lately and it makes me so sad. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been (I know many soldiers and Marines who would like to argue with me on that point) and yet is an city of such poverty too - poverty such as the US has never known. Granted, I was inside the wire during my entire stay in that city, and so did not see most of the ugliness that is present there. Instead, I cam home with beautiful pictures of Sadam's palaces and playgrounds. Despite being awoken at ridiculously early hours at the sound of bomb blasts (actually, I think it was the violent shaking of my bed that woke me), I will always have fond memories of my short time in Baghdad.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: