Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Waltons

While CJ was busy at the US Open (that is a golf event, in case you were wondering), I had a whole day to myself (what to do, what to do...). A recent blog post got me thinking about the TV show The Waltons, a show I often watched with my family in my adolescence. I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to drive down to Schuyler, VA and see Earl Hamner's childhood home and the place that began the Walton saga (since CJ had never watched The Waltons, I knew he would not find any of it very interesting).

When I arrived at the museum, I was surprised that it was set up in the Schuyler public school (the school the Hamner children attended). As it turns out, the school closed in 1991, and the museum was set up some time after that. Different school rooms were set up as various rooms in the Walton house (as seen on the TV show).


In this collage of pictures, you can see the set of John-boy's bedroom, the kitchen, and Ike Godsey's General Store.


The set of the living room



The current General Store


Earl Hamner's boyhood home (smaller than Hollywood's depiction of it)


The little, white, Baptist church


Here you can see how close the General Store was to the Hamner home... there was no traveling down the mountain to get there. It was practically in their front yard!



This is the actual camera and equipment that was used in the filming of the Waltons.

No comments: