Friday, January 04, 2013

Unanswered Prayers

I remember a friend of mine telling me that there are blessings in unanswered prayers - that is, prayers answered contrary to what we want at the time. It is amazing how often that is true. The job I begged for didn't come to fruition, but in its place I got more than I could have ever dreamed of. The guy I once thought I wanted turned out to be a loser, and instead, I now have an amazing husband. On the other hand, the apartment I wanted has turned out to be quite a challenge. But, really, that is not even what matters. The point is to content whatever one's lot in life - to be grateful for the blessings as well as the challenges. It is the single most difficult struggle of my life. I was listening to a song this morning on my ride to work... the lyrics are so beautifully put, I knew I had to post them. So here they are:

Daily bread, give us daily bread
Bless our bodies, keep our children fed
Fill our cups, then fill them up again tonight
Wrap us up and warm us through
Tucked away beneath our sturdy roofs
Let us slumber safe from danger's view this time
Or maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case...
We'll give thanks to You with gratitude
A lesson learned to hunger after You
That a starry sky offers a better view
If no roof is overhead
And if we never taste that bread
~ Gratitude, Nicole Nordeman

No comments: