Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Of faeries and fireflies

It was a calm, sultry night... If I were writing a story that began last night, that would be the opening line I think. Well, maybe not, but it does describe the feeling of last night as I wandered aimlessly throughout my neighborhood. The sun had set, but the sky was still rather bright, scattered with puffy golden clouds. In the shadows, fireflies glowed, making an adorable little English-style garden look as though under some magical spell. I could picture Ciderella's fairy godmother waving her wand, scattering sparkling magic dust in the flower beds. Hanging from the tree branches were little lanterns, which, from a distance, made me think of faeries (notice the use of the English spelling... I felt as if I had been transported to another place and time). I could have stood there staring at this picturesque front yard for a very long time if it weren't for the fact that I did not want to cause suspicion. The sweetest little old couple (I would guess that they are octagenarians) live there, and I could just imagine that one of their neighbors probably look out for them.

I hope if I ever become one of those old ladies, who spends all her time in the garden, my garden looks very much like that. =)

No comments: