Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The gas chamber

I have to admit, I expected it to be a LOT worse. I had to get over my claustrophobia and get the gas mask on my face, but once that was accomplished, the rest was quite simple. We walked into the rather small shed with the mask in place. Once in, the doors were closed and a gas capsul was opened over a flame. The instructor made us hold our breath, close our eyes and break the seal of the mask. After that we cleared and resealed our masks and were allowed to leave. The gas did make my eyes water a little and created somewhat of a burning sensation on any exposed skin, but overall, it was pretty easy (disappointingly so). I know the military guys have to actually take the mask off and talk, making the whole experience much worse. As much as I HATE pain and generally avoid it at all costs, I guess I just wanted to see what it is they go through (I don't know, maybe it's morbid curiosity). Anyway, that is the extent of my gas chamber experience. I'm sorry it was not more exciting.

No comments: