Friday, May 25, 2007

Pirates III

Considering it just came out last night, it's not like I've had a whole lot of time to run out and see Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. However, I have been reading the reviews (I don't want another bitter disappointment like last year - I'd rather have a heads up so my expectations are lowered in advance). After many reviews, I'm expecting a repeat of Pirates II. Of course, I will go to see it anyway... probably this weekend (I went to see Dead Man's Chest a second time even though I hated it the first), but hey, I also have a larger-than-life poster of Orlando Bloom hanging in my closet (did I just say that out loud? Oh. No, I only wrote it - whew, that was a close one!). I am really just a fan of Captain Jack Sparrow... I can't help myself. =P Besides, I have been listening to the Amazon sampler of the soundtrack... I would go to see the movie just for that! The new themes are great!

Some of the reviews were very funny! My favorite comment was about death as portrayed in the Pirates trilogy, found in a
blog:

dying in the Pirates of the Caribbean world is sort of like being audited by the IRS: Sure, it's a drag, but as long as you talk to the right people and pony up the loot, it'll be over with soon enough.
Another funny one was an explanation provided by Movies.com:

Lord Cutler Beckett has control of Davy Jones' heart, which sounds sort of gay when you're just reading about it, but it's not — the heart's in a box.

Here a couple of great Captain Jack quotes from Pirates II (getting into the mindset =]):

You want you to find this. Because the finding of this finds you incapacitorially finding and/or locating in your discovering, a detecting of a way to save your dolly belle, ol' wha's-her-face. Savvy?

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him, trust me.

Yup, I'm good wiv it! (Jack on giving Will to Davy Jones in his place)

Look what I got! [sing-song.] I got a jar of dirt! I got a jar of dirt! And guess what's inside it!!!

I was nothing more than an almost innocent bystander.
...and a few more review snippets for your entertainment:

Ultimately the voyage is so long that into the third hour I found myself yawning, 'Yo-ho-hum and a very sore bum.'

The plot’s a trippy, twisty mess, and it’s far too long, but it looks fantastic and makes some bold choices in its execution. And once again Jack’s back to save the day.

So many plots, so many battles, so many tonal shifts, so many characters, and ultimately so many Captain Jack Sparrows that it is clear they are hoping we won't notice that it really is something of a mess. It's a very entertaining mess, though.

Any movie that involves something called "the nine pieces of eight" doesn't really care if you can follow it.

No comments: