Friday, May 30, 2008

Culture Warrior: a review



For the last month, I have been reading Bill O'Reilly's Culture Warrior. Overall, I think it is a great book and brings out some really interesting points. However, I do not agree with him in everything. This morning, I was reading while working out (my normal routine), and came across a topic that definitely caught my attention.

In chapter 12, O'Reilly brings up the topic of religion in the culture war. I think he gets it right when he says that "the conservative Christian groups... are most engaged on the traditional side." What I disagree with is his statement that this war will not be won "in the religious arena" because Christians base their stand on morality, not necessarily economic prosperity. Personally, I think that if the Culture War is won at all, it will be because of the strong Christians in this country and the omnipotent God they stand for. According to a poll cited in the book, 15% of Americans are hard-core liberals, while 35% style themselves conservative, leaving the remaining 50% moderate (otherwise known as apathetic - in my opinion). If these numbers are correct, what it shows is that a passion for something is needed to get people motivated to even enter the war. Yeah, Americans care about the economy, but in reality, most only care about what their own bank accounts look like. O'Reilly suggests that traditionalists persuade the non-religious of this country that traditionalism is in their best interest. I do not believe this is a good strategy. The social-progressives are all about individulism. If the traditionalist tries to win an argument appealing to individual interest, he is already at a disadvantage against the S-P warrior. I would offer that Christianity, which appeals to a greater good outside of the individual, is one of the few ideologies that will successfully motivate people to rally for the traditional cause. That being said, it has to be a deep-rooted conviction and not merely a formality like the denigrated version of Christianity that is preached in too many churches across America. Like I said earlier, passion for a cause is necessary in order to rally the troops and take them to victory.

I suppose only time will tell how this war will turn out, but that is my two cents on the topic.

Oh, and as an aside (purely for amusement purposes), my favorite quote from the book is a statement O'Reilly directs at Nancy Pelosi after she has accused him of "calling for a terrorist attack." And here it is: "She... lives in a virtual Land of Oz. And to her I have only one thing say: You better knock it off lady, or I'll throw water on you and take your shoes."

No comments: