Friday, August 01, 2008

The new love of my life!

"When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object." ~ Milan Kundera

It is quite interesting - the story of how we met... I will try my best to describe it here, but I'm not sure words will do this meeting justice. I'm not normally a spontaneous person, but maybe I need to re-think that because I have done a number of things this past year that definitely qualify as "spontaneous" (e.g. joining a rock band). Come to think of it, most it has revolved around music... hmmm... But I digress.

It all began Wednesday night with a broken "A" string on my guitar. Unlike most professionals, I replace each string as they break, rather than replacing them all when one breaks. So, I went into my stash of strings... 2 E, 2 B, 2 G, no D, NO A!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD?!?! How do I NOT have another A string? I was quite upset because it was too late at night to go out string shopping and besides that I have always bought anything guitar-related in NY. I didn't even know where the nearest music store was around here! Of course, like any intelligent girl of the 21st century, I Googled "music stores," which didn't really return the results I was looking for. I tried again, using the keyword "guitar." BINGO! There was a guitar shop about 5 miles from my apartment. I went there last night, right after work. I had a little difficulty finding it at first since it is a bit of a hole-in-the-wall. But I was impressed the moment I set foot inside the store. There were guitars hanging EVERYWHERE! I mean, BEAUTIFUL guitars! The two men inside were very helpful. I told them what I needed and they got it for me. It was all quite easy and painless. As he was ringing me up, I had to start asking questions about their guitars (I can't help it!). Well, we got to talking, and one thing led to another... He pulled out an Epiphone, and that was it. I was gone! Growing up, Dad always played an accoustic Epiphone... I guess the happy childhood memories of dancing on the porch while Dad played probably has something to do with my affinity for Epiphones. But whatever it was, I knew I was in love. I had no choice. I had to have it. So I bought it. Ten minutes later, I walked out of that little hole-in-the-wall store with accoustic guitar strings and my first real electric guitar, complete with a hard case! It was definitely the least thought out purchase I have ever made in my life, but I'm not sure I have ever bought anything for myself that has made me happier.

I'm still in shock. I played it all last night, but in the morning when I woke up, the first thing I did was look over at where I had left it sitting to make sure I had not dreamed the whole thing up. I opened the case and gazed in awe at my beautiful instrument. Yup. It's really here and it's really mine! =P

No comments: