Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fall has arrived

Have you ever noticed how seasons often change in a day (at least in this part of the country)? This morning there was a definite change in the air. It was crisp and cold... but I think what really did if for me was the destinct smell of dying leaves. Leaves have a certain smell to them when they first fall from the trees and begin to dry up. They also have a different smell in the Spring (if you, like I, wait until then to rake them up) when they have been sitting around, rotting all winter. I know I am very strange about smells, but ever since I can remember, I have always been very sensitive to scents, and associated people, places, and events with specific smells. When I was painting my room, I was using a drop cloth that I borrowed from Grandma. As soon as I spread it out, the scent of wood, paint, and diesel fuel filled my room, and memories of working with Grandpa in his garage flooded my mind. Tommy Boy cologne will always bring me back to my first restaurant job and the cute, Dominican, waiter who was always hanging around the hostess' desk. And, of course, the smell of salt air will always make me think of home. Well, enough with my random digressions... I am going to Starbucks to enjoy one of the few things I love about fall... Pumpkin Spice Lattes!

No comments: