Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A Hostel Environment

It was like nothing I had ever experienced before in my life! The name on the front said "Yellow," but inside, the walls were a bright shade of red. Though it was in the heart of Rome, there was not a single Italian in the building, either staff or guest. American music blared at all hours of day or night in the main "chill out" area, but it could not be heard in the sleeping areas. Despite the fact that the rooms were not gender specific, the bathrooms and showers were surprisingly clean. The first room I stayed in had only one bunk bed and two single beds, the second had four sets of bunks, but both were pretty quiet and conducive to a good night's sleep, which is all I cared about (if sleeping from 4am to 7am counts as a good night's sleep - I guess I could have slept soundly anywhere at that point!). Most of the guys who worked there had great accents (English and Australian - my faves!), and they were very friendly and helpful. My female roommates were fun-loving girls from Oregon, who turned out to be great touring companions. We hopped a rid on the Metro over to Vatican City and went to the Vatican museum and the Basilica of St. Peter. After spending the previous day by myself, I was very grateful for the company. =)

So, while I was slightly hesitant about staying there after my coworker returned to the States, it turned out to be a great experience. It was unique, and maybe that was what made it so much fun. There was definitely a sense of adventure about it. Given the opportunity, I would stay at a hostel again... I think I might acually choose it over a hotel (depending on the location - I wouldn't recommend trying one in the Bronx or anything like that!).

No comments: