Thursday, March 08, 2007

At the break of dawn

When I was little, I thought the "break of dawn" was super early. That was the way my Mom made it sound. She was never happy when we woke her up at that time. Of course, now I realize that dawn breaks at different times during different seasons. In the winter I get to work long before then. On most days I do not see the light of day until mid-afternoon. So, I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I looked to the eastern horizon and saw a lighter shade of blue creeping into the sky. I do not claim to have seen the sun's rays or anything; just a little bit of brightness, but that little bit of brightness made me happy. Unfortunately, that will change over the weekend as the clocks go ahead and we all lose an hour of sleep. I won't complain though, because I like Daylight Savings Time. I like that the day lasts longer after I get home from work. However, I will continue to look forward to those longer summer days when I watch the dawn break, scattering its rays across the Potomac and reflecting brightly from the dome of the Capitol as I drive to work.

No comments: