Monday, December 17, 2007

Last week, when I was still miserable about the move to a new office and I was complaining about everything and anything, I declared "there is no Christmas here" to a co-worker who was rather appalled by my statement. I was determined to be angry. Life was not fair, I didn't want to be here, and I hated this country! However, I still missed Christmas songs and found myself singing them in the shower one day.

This was the time of year
I had my family near
But they've all gone and I have been so lonely…


Seemed fitting… I could certainly relate with the song's sentiment this year…

Oh Emmanuel, God with us
Spirit revealed in us
That we may be your hope to the world
Oh Emmanuel, God with us
With a light to break the darkness
That we may show your hope to the world
Emmanuel, God with us


Hmmm… It suddenly hit me that my attitude was totally off. Instead of feeling sorry for myself that I was not where I wanted to be, and that I was not with family or friends, I should be thankful, that Christ left His Father, came from perfection, and came here to earth as Emmanuel (God with us!). It's a story I've been told since before I can remember and yet it is easy to forget when I focus on all the little things in my life

Oh Emmanuel, be God with us…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be Home for Christmas
by Bing Crosby, 1943

"I'll be home for Christmas;
You can count on me.
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree.

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love-light gleams.
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams. "

Bing Crosby recorded 'I'll Be Home for Christmas' in 1943 and it instantly topped the charts as the one of America's most popular holiday songs along with 'White Christmas'. James 'Kim' Gannon wrote its lyrics while its music was composed by Walter Kent. It touched the hearts of the soldiers and civilians alike who were still going through World War II and made Crosby earn his fifth gold record.

In December 1965, when the astronauts Frank Borman and James Lovell were returning to Earth after setting a record for the longest flight in the US space program aboard Gemini 7 spacecraft, they requested this carol to be played for them.


May God Bless you with fond memories of home and gratefullness for His greatest gift, his son.

My love and thoughts are with you,
J.