Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Master of the Kitchen... if not My Destiny

A girl, happily in love, burns the souffle. A girl, unhappily in love, forgets to turn the oven on. ..~ Baron St. Fontanel in the 1954 version of Sabrina
I always found that quote to be amusing, though I have to question its accuracy, seeing as I burn just about everything and have NEVER been happily in love. The part that I find amusing, is that either way, she finds herself in the kitchen. Maybe it is because the movies is from the 1950s and that is where women were expected to be. But I would rather think that it is a normal to let emotions find their outlet in creative, culinary way. I can't even remember how many times life has driven me into the kitchen. It is where I find released. It is where I feel I have some control when everything else seems absurd. Maybe I am odd... but I would rather believe it is normal.

No comments: