Friday, May 05, 2006

I'm gonna regret this in the morning - oh, wait... it IS morning...

This was the thought running through my mind 5 hours ago as I was driving back from a Casting Crowns/Nicole Nordeman concert. So, yeah, I'm currently running on 3 1/2 hours of sleep (totally not normal for me!), but I really don't regret it at all (yet =]). I had such an amazing time last night! The music was great. The fellowship was great - even the hour and a half ride to and from the arena was enjoyable!

This was my first big Christian concert, and it was a little different from what I was expecting. Nicole Nordeman did the first half (or one third). Her performance was pretty much what I thought it would be. She played most of my favorite songs from her last two CDs. It was the Casting Crowns half that got interesting... For the most part, the audience was invited to sing along, which I LOVED, but I'm not sure that's the norm for most bands (Christian or otherwise). There were random calls to give a "shout out to Jesus" and to "raise your hands," which was just weird to me. Then there was the "sermonette" toward the end of the concert (it was on the cheesy side), followed by a quasi-alter-call, at which point people who had been lifting their hands and shouting "praise Jesus" throughout the whole concert "decided" to commit their lives to Christ. I really just don't get the idea of having an alter-call at a "Christian" concert. I mean, do they really thing that that many non-Christians (half of the audience stood up!) attend their concert?!

What I really loved was hearing some of the stories behind the songs. It is so neat to hear how the lyrics were inspired! Some of the stories were really sad, others were absolutely encouraging. But it just adds so much more meaning to the songs when I understand where the artist is coming from.


Here are my favorite lines from some of the songs that were sung last night:

What if you're right?...
They say the cross will only make a fool of you
And what if it's true?
But what if you're wrong?
What if there's more?
What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
~ What If, Nicole Nordeman
Of all the songs sung last night, I think this one resonates most with me. It was inspired by the many debates Nicole had with a close friend, and the realization that it is only God who does the work in the hears of men. We are called to bring the gospel. We can't actually argue people into the Kingdom!

So long status quo
I think I just let go
You make me want to be brave
The way it always was
Is no longer good enough
You make me want to be brave
~ Brave, Nicole Nordeman
I had heard this song on the radio many times, but it made so much more sense once I was given the context. Before she sang it, she dedicated it to anyone with kids. This was pretty much a song written to her child. =)

To hang between two thieves in the darkness
Love must believe you are worth it
~ Hold On, Nicole Nordeman
Before singing this Nicole told a story of a friend who committed suicide - that was definitely the most emotional part of the evening (she even had grown men crying!).

I don't know how you found me
Or why you let me come back
'Cause it's a long way home when all you're left to carry
Is a heart of stone and the weight of most the world
~ Lay It Down, Nicole Nordeman
This is the story of the prodigal son.

I barely hear your whisper through the rain,
I'm with you
And as your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
The God who gives and takes away
~ Praise You in the Storm, Casting Crowns
This was the second most emotional part of the evening! "Praise You in the Storm" was born out of an experience with a family that lost their daughter to Cancer.

Morning breaks another day
Finds me crying in the rain
All alone with my demons
I am Who is this man that comes my way?
As the God man passes by
He looks straight through my eyes
And darkness cannot hide
~ Set Me Free, Casting Crowns
This is the story of the Gadarene, who was demon possessed before Christ set him free.

Am I the only one who's traded
In the altar for a stage?
The performance is convincing...
But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
You imagine me to be
~ Stained Glass Mascarade, Casting Crowns

There are many more songs that I LOVE, but I would be here all day if I wrote out ALL my favorite lines! =)

No comments: