Sunday, August 19, 2007

Pop-culturally challenged

My musical education has one major deficiency, or so some of my classmates seem to think. About 8 years ago, I had a friend who tried to get me up to speed on 80s music. He introduced me to Duran Duran, Pat Benetar, and a few others. I'm not a huge 80s music fan, so I thought my knowledge sufficient. Apparently, I still managed to miss most of the entire Classic Rock genre. This fact both dismayed and amused the guys I was hanging with yesterday. After a day at the beach, I was exhausted and so surrendered the wheel to a willing driver, unfortunately, that meant also surrendering the radio dial. =( With each new song that came over the airwaves, the question came: "who is this?" The answer I provided never changed: "I don't know." Even now I cannot remember the songs that played, or the artists that wrote them, with the exception of John Melloncamp (sp?) because I thought his name was funny and I had heard the song many times before. I guess that kind of music just doesn't make much of an impression on me.

No comments: