Sunday, November 15, 2009

Confessions of a Closet Romantic

My thoughts are random at best, and I could not pretend to know where they come from. Lately, I have been thinking about romance... the ideal, the fantasy and the harsh reality. Why, I don't know... Actually, I am a romance junkie at heart, brought up on Louisa May Alcott and Jane Austen novels, madly in love with the Mr. Knightlys and Col. Brandons. Most people would probably be shocked by this confession, but it's true. I do not like modern romantic comedies and "chick flicks" because besides being unreasonable, they make me uncomfortable - too much sex and awkward innuendo. Of course my lack of interest in weddings (at least, my own) and my oft-declared intentions to NEVER get married have contributed to my reputation as a I am cold-hearted soon-to-be old maid. The truth is I have become disillusioned with the wedding industry as well as marriage (thanks to the many failed marriages I so often witness all around me). All that Hollywood tries to sell off as love is not real. It's sad, really. So many girls watch these movies, read the books, and pour over the magazines, hoping their Prince Charming will magically show up on their doorstep. It's left me with a bad taste for it all. However, while I cannot honestly say I know what it feels like to be happily in love, I do believe that true love exists. For me? Well, I don't know if I would go that far. But I do know I won't settle for less. I am not going to get married for the sake of it. If I do manage to fall utterly, hopelessly in love, then maybe. =) Until then, I will remain the single, wandering adventurer. It's not everything I would have hoped for, but it's not a bad life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand that this is a decidedly late comment, but well, I specifically searched for "confessions of a closet romantic" on Google today as I was feeling particularly lonely and single, and wanted to find kindred spirits to empathize or something, and I stumbled across your entry here. Now I will stop abusing commas and get on with the point. My situation is almost similar to yours, except when I watch mainstream romantic movies, I wish for romance like that, but of course, I never do find it, largely because I'm a reclusive internet addict. I agree with you on the matter of falling in love, out of the 6 billion people out there, there should be my true love out there right? So why should I be content with something else (granted there isn't much competition...). And this article made me feel just that bit positive about this, so thanks and cheers!

Islandgirl said...

Hey, anonymous. Thanks for the comment. I wish you the best. Also, I'd like to encourage you to get outside and meet people - not just to find "the one" but to enjoy the many friendships that can be had. I have found that the people you meet along the way are what make any experience worth remembering.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know, you're right. I suppose you have to try at it, i'm lazy here. of course, if and when any opportunity arises, I will not shut myself off, although i still am tentative to take any initiative. I'm still quite young though, so all in good time i guess? Thanks for the advice!
(Is it pathetic that I checked to see if you commented back?)